Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm Still Here in the Bathtub

I'm Still Here in the Bathtub
by: Alan Katz
Illustrated by: David Catrow
Paperback: 32 pages
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry
Language: English
ISBN-10: 0689845510
Date: 2003
Price: (without shipping) $6.39 USD as of the date of this posting
Where to buy: Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com)

I initially got this book on an impulse. It was prompted by the fact that David Catrow did the illustrations. Then, when I got home, I started through the book.

"This is stupid", I thought, "Just a rehashing of familiar tunes with semi-clever new lyrics."

But I am old and may have missed a point or two initially.

That, is an understatement.

The thing is, in the classrooms that have this book in the k-2 school where I work this is one of the most popular books on the book shelf.

It teaches a lost art to the very young, that is the art of parody.

This is a goofy, silly, sometimes potty-humor-esque romp through songs that your kids will love and you'll think are semi-stupid and worthless.

Get over it, it's not about us adults.

The kids will have fun and they'll have the knowledge of song parody installed along with the other creative brainware that these books install into their heads for use later in life.

And that, is a good thing.

Message:
[Parents] Just becaue we don't get it doesn't mean it's not good.
[Kids] What new lyrics can you make up?

Content: 4.5/5
Illustrations: 5/5
Concept: 4.5/5
Quality: 5/5
Price: 5/5

No comments: